Remember that old Boy Scout motto of always being prepared? There was (and still is) a lot of truth in that statement. It is always better to be prepared…for anything. After all, you have a doctor you can call if you become sick; you have a mechanic you can call if your car breaks down; but do you have a lawyer you can call if you’ve been in an auto accident? If you don’t have one, you should…just in case.
Car accidents are stressful no matter how minor they might be. Imagine if you’re involved in an accident that isn’t just a minor fender bender! You would have to deal with damages to your vehicle, your injuries, insurance companies, and the police. No doubt your stress level rose dramatically just thinking about it. You can reduce that stress by having a personal injury lawyer that you can call on to walk you through the process and take care of many of the details for you.
In order for your personal injury lawyer to help you the most, it’s important to have as much information as possible about the accident. Keep a diary where you can list all of the appointments, expenses and anything else related to the accident. Following is a list of items the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) suggests that you have to present to your lawyer:
- Vehicle insurance information
- Driver’s license information
- Accident details
- Date, time, location
- Weather and traffic conditions
- Information about the other vehicle and its driver and passengers
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Copies of the accident or incident report
- Copies of correspondence with the insurance company
- Any additional expenses (transportation, etc.) related to the accident
In addition to the above items, you’ll want to have copies of all reports from the scene of the accidents, including tickets written and any charges filed (such as DUIs, etc.). Also keep all doctor reports and medical records from the accident. Were you given X-rays? Did you have any pre-existing conditions that have become aggravated because of the accident? Have you lost any days or wages at work? Keep records of all of these and anything else related to the accident. It will all help your personal injury lawyer help you.
We hope you never find yourself in this situation, but if you are, know that there are countless benefits of having a personal injury lawyer by your side after an accident. The DMV suggests ways that a personal injury lawyer can be of benefit, including:
- Dealing with the car insurance company
- Ensuring that you receive fair treatment in settlement negotiations
- Knowledge of the law that is useful in unique cases, such as ones involving uninsured drivers
- Experience in auto-related injuries and knowing what medical tests would be of benefit
- An understanding of the long-term effects of injuries
- Experience in court procedures, if the case goes that far
Call Carey Leisure & Neal for Legal Services in Clearwater, FL
Having a good personal injury lawyer sort through all of the red tape takes a huge load off of your mind. Your lawyer will be far more objective about your case and has the experience to know how to solve disputes and obtain the best possible settlement. Stay safe by being prepared!
Contact us at (727) 799-3900 for a free no-obligation consultation and case evaluation.